Sunday, March 1, 2009

From the beginning...

For those that don't know my son Joshua...Like everyone does, I went to the OB at 20 weeks to find out whether I was having a boy or a girl. Laying on the sonagram table, I could see on the technician's face that there was something wrong. The words, "There's a problem." didn't help much either. Justin and I were left alone in the room for about five minutes as the tech went to fetch the doctor, being that they aren't allowed to say anything. The rest of the day was a blur. The word "problem" kept circling my head. Gastroschisis was actually the terminology. Gastroschisis is a 1 in 5,000 birth defect where the small intestine is formed outside of or protrudes from the abdoman at some point around 10-12 weeks gestation. No one knows why it happens. I thought my world had ended...

No comments:

Post a Comment